The Weekly Ramble

The weekly ramble: where I blog like it’s 2004.

FishChicks garden

Oy! I’ll be honest, it’s been a rough week. We were on the mend Sunday: the girls and I planted some flowers; we played; the weather was beautiful. Isn’t it hilarious that she’s giving herself bunny ears?

FishPapa went back to work Monday morning and all was going like clockwork.

However, FishChick5 reported alternating upset stomach and sore throat. By Tuesday night she’d eaten very little and showed no sign of getting better. The triage nurse suspected strep throat, so off to Urgent Care we went. Though the doctor was sure it was strep, the rapid test came back negative. So we waited for the culture results to come back.

In the meantime, my girl started to feel better. I thought we were out of the woods, and then all these spots showed up on her legs Wednesday night. Dr Google and I conferred because Urgent Care was closed by that time. I crossed scarlet fever off my list of Things that I Should Be Worried About. It was a different kind of rash.

Thursday morning found us at the pediatrician’s where the doc did a dance — seriously — and told me she was confident that it was not strep, but Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. Yay. At least we have a diagnosis and it’s not anything too serious.

Except that it could easily travel through our whole family! Yes, I know that it’s not supposed to happen to kids over 5, but I’ve currently got two older children sporting sore throats.

The weather has been so funky; we could have allergies/summer colds, etc. Yes, summer. Currently, there’s a heat wave going on. God’s thermostat has been set to 83 inside the house, 93 out of doors. Hello, Summer!

I covet your prayers. I have another BIG deadline at the end of the month and it’s not going as well as I would like. Please pray that I would keep my cool, and that the rest of the month would be uneventful so that I can get this book written!

on-the-road-to-joyful-motherhood-SPINE

Meanwhile, here’s what’s been happening on Life as MOM:

I sent out a newsletter earlier this week about enjoying motherhood more. The site, which has had on-again/off-again service for about a week, of course crashed when the newsletter went out. Bummer that.

If you’d like to subscribe to the seasonal newsletter, you can do so here. In the coming months, I’ll be sending out coupons and exclusive content to the folks on the list.

In other news, here are the posts you might have missed this week:

And here’s what’s been happening on my food blog, Good Cheap Eats:

Coming next week:

Be sure to let me know what stories and articles are helpful to you and what you’d like to see more of in the coming weeks. I want to make your “life as MOM” as fun and as easy as possible.

Comments

1. Praying!

2. Kristi says:

Continuing to pray for you!

3. Rachel D. says:

Praying for you!

We were dealing with Hand, foot and mouth disease this past week as well. All 3 of my kids (ages 7, 4 and 2) came down with it. We got ours confirmed at urgent care last Sunday. :( Hope all your kidlets feel better soon.

• I am finding out that bigger folk don’t usually get the rash. Kinda wondering if the random sore throat/fever that a kid had a week or two ago is related. Oy!

4. Kathy in Illinois says:

So sorry that sweet little girl of yours is ill. Praying she gets better and also praying for you to be able to handle everything. With God’s help you will.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

5. teresa says:

Praying for good health for you & your family. Perhaps someone thinks you might be sharing some mighty helpful insights with your new book and is trying to get you derailed. Thankful the Lord is your strength. Praying for grace, insight and protection. ((hugs))

6. Joining in prayer for you and your beautiful family. Your 2 blogs are among my favorites.

7. Charlene says:

I haven’t done any research on hand foot and mouth disease… however, it was going through the school in the fall (population around 700). Unfortunately, it went through some teachers too. I’d say there’s not an age limit on it–despite what the internet says. Hand washing is super important.
    I was kind of scared–because I’m the school librarian. I was really careful when I was putting books away–because I figured that germs can live on books for quite awhile! Thankfully, I didn’t get it.
    I hope that no one else gets it–and that it ends in your house quickly! It can be quite painful–especially in adults I’ve heard. I wish you the best!

8. Stacy Pike says:

Oh, I’m so sorry she has hand, foot & mouth. Our daughter had it over Thanksgiving when she was 9 months and it was horrible. She had one of the worst cases our pediatrician had ever seen. Luckily she’s our only child(right now,) so it didn’t spread. Praying no one else in your family gets it!

9. Uggghhhh… I’m so sorry Jessica. Hand, foot, mouth is the WORST! What a nasty virus. I sure hope everyone is on the mend very soon!

• Thanks! I think we’re close. Four kids are done, one’s in the middle of it, one’s still standing. He’s 16, so maybe he won’t get it? Here’s hoping!