The Weekly Ramble

The weekly ramble: where I blog like it’s 2004.

FishBoy13

FishPapa and I just got back from a 36-hour trip to Ontario, CA. Not, Ontario, Canada, but Ontario, California. We took our two teenagers, FishBoy13 and FishBoy17 to the Great Homeschool Convention. I’ll be sharing more on Monday, but I’ll say now that it was great. I not only got to visit with two readers (Hi Beth! Hi Alicia!) but I also got to see local friends as well as catch up with Sarah and Tami, both friends from different parts of the state.

Last night FishBoy13 and I saw a great comedy show while FishBoy17 and FishPapa watched the nail biter of a hockey game. The Kings won the Stanley Cup AGAIN, my people! Yay!

It was a great weekend in so many ways. I hope that I can process it all tonight and tomorrow and be able to share my thoughts coherently. I’m renewed in this amazing journey teaching my kids at home and feel a burst of energy to school through the summer. I kinda took a break in May so it feels like we’ve already had a bit of a break.

I just spent the last hour or so ordering books online since the vendors weren’t selling what I wanted or weren’t offering discounts. Bummer for them. CBD got my business this year — and my $400.

Meanwhile, here’s what’s been happening on Life as MOM:

Here’s what’s been happening on Good Cheap Eats:

Coming next week:

• Looking Forward as a Homeschool Mom
  • Withholding Judgement
  • A new Freezer Cooking Plan
  • A new $70 or Less Meal Plan

Be sure to let me know what stories and articles are helpful to you and what you’d like to see more of in the coming weeks. I want to make your “life as MOM” as fun and as easy as possible.

Comments

1. karen miller says:

Hi Jessica, I’m a single mom of a 13 year old daughter here in central Florida. Just wanted to drop you a line to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog. I work part time and am also trying very hard to pray and make ends meet every month! I volunteer in my churchs’ food pantry every month and also get to partake of the services because we need too. You help me get through by reading your stories like you are almost a friend (cause I am lacking those unfortunately). God bless, Karen

2. Courtney says:

Congrats to the Kings, but next year the Cup will be back in Chicago where it belongs! ;)

3. Sherrie Roderick says:

Love CBD!!!

4. I’m looking forward to the next $70 meal plan. I haven’t actually had any meal plan since the last one!

5. I remember you mentioned attending GHC last year so I had my eye out to say hi. I think our paths quickly crossed on Saturday in the rush to get from seminar to hall. I registered for the conference knowing I needed some nurturing but didn’t know that I’d be receiving equal doses of nurturing and healthy conviction thru talks by Heidi St. John and Kirk Martin. I look forward to hearing about your highlights. It was an action-packed conference. We barely had time to eat! Oh, it was great fun to hear the talk by Dean Butler and, yes, stand in line for his autograph.

6. Rebecca S says:

Hi Jessica,

Can you please pass along what your purchased at CBD? I have a 9th & 12th grader this year, and I too am looking for ways to save $$ while giving them a great education. If you’d like you can email me that fine as well.

TIA,

Rebecca

• I’ll be sharing our stuff in the next few weeks. We’re going to do light school all summer, so I’ll have a better feel for what I’ve bought. Also doing some more online classes for my high schoolers.

7. Carmen Kraft says:

I used to order most of my homeschool books through CBD but I have found that Rainbow Resource has a better price. And every order over $50 is shipped free. :) This might help you save in the future.

• You had me in a panic. :) I checked their pricing. While a couple things were cheaper, they didn’t have my big ticket items: Teaching Textbooks, so I would have had to go with CBD anyway. But, I’ll definitely check their pricing for other things to come. (I’m not done yet.) I ended up ordering a few art books from them.

8. Melinda P says:

I think I saw you in the Matt Walsh session. :) But I was all the way across the room and 100 months pregnant, so I didn’t get up to say hi, LOL! ;)