A Snacky Lunch – It’s What’s On the Menu

A snacky lunch is easy. It’s self-serve. It’s what’s on the menu.

Snacky Lunch - A snacky lunch is easy. It's self-serve. It's what's on the menu.
This is one of my go-to meals around here. It’s fast. It’s easy. It’s highly portable. And the kids love it.

Plus, since it’s SO much like a commercial “punchable”, I can easily sway them from that section of the grocery store without a fuss. If I throw in a small sweet and some juice, the kids are extra jazzed.

This isn’t a fancy bento box. There are no sandwiches cut into works of art. It’s just simple, fun, yummy food that my kids love. Heck, my husband and I do, too.

This is often what I turn to for Sunday lunch or dinner since it’s so easy and quick to prep.

The Snacky Lunch

A Snacky Lunch contains any of the following:

• crackers or sliced baguette
  • cheese slices or sticks, and fancier cheeses if we have them
  • sliced turkey, ham,  or salami – either rolled or cut into cracker-sized pieces
  • veggies and dip
  • fruit slices
  • Optional Extras: juice and a “lunch dessert”

This is something that really works for me.

What goes in your snacky lunch?

This post was originally posted on June 10, 2009.

Comments

1. Great way to easy lunch it… if only my little guy would eat more of it. Maybe one of these days :)

2. Alamodey says:

Thank you for this idea, we used it today.

That is, we will be, after my son wakes from the nap that he's required to take when he throws a tantrum so big that he screams and hits mommy in public.

3. We do this sort of thing for lunch often. Frequently with the addition of almond butter or peanut butter to dip the apples or carrots in. Gotta love keeping it quick and simple!

4. Margery says:

With all the Kraft/Nabisco printable coupons floating around last month, we have a huge stockpile of free or almost-free Ritz and Wheat Thins. Our favorite, however, is Peanut Butter crackers with apple slices or raisins. It's like a staple in our house, and saves money on bread, too. Son likes to dip his in hummus. I don't think he knows it's a vegetable product! LOL.

5. Love those snacky lunches! Have you seen those pictures where moms put each item into a cup of a muffin tin? I think that's pretty brilliant, too (assuming you can scrounge up enough muffin tins for each child!)

6. I totally got this idea from you (I think last summer)–and now we eat this once a week too. It's a great idea and the kids totally love it!

7. CK Nethercott aka Mom says:

All my kids do anyway is snack all day long, so I say go with it! Make it easy, healthy, and quick!

8. My kind of lunch! Thankfully my girls love fruit which keeps it plenty healthy!

9. Jessica :) says:

Great idea. I love lunches like that!
    Also, I know you really don't have any idea who I am, but I wanted to tell you that I loved your blog so much that I passed along an award to you! Enjoy! http://harwoodharbor.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-won-award.html

10. Jenn @ Beautiful Calling says:

It's crazy how some spend so much money buying something that can so easily be made at home!
    (I love this kind of lunch at times too – to eat I mean!)

11. I do this sometimes, too. I used to have some of the plastic lunchables containers that I re-used to put the crackers, cheese, etc. in there. My son always thought it was pretty cool to eat it out of the lunchable container & I felt good that I was re-using it a couple times before recycling it.

12. Macomb Money Savers says:

We do these, too. My son calls it a "snack lunch" and would eat it every day if I'd let him! We purchase turkey ham at ALDI and cut it into cubes, then freeze. For a snack lunch, we chisel off a chunk with a butter knife, pop it in the microwave for 1 minute and serve!

Pepperoni also works well, with or without mini-pitas for making individual pizzas.

13. hopped over here from the non-supper supper post @Simple Bites … ahhh, the faux lunchable kit, love this!

14. I do this all the time with my daughter, Maddie (age 4). She loves it and calls it her extra-special homemade lunchable. So cute! Sometimes we use some small cookie cutters to make shapes in the lunchmeat and cheese. Great ideas on your blog! Thanks!

15. Cassidy Bartasi says:

I have 21 month old twins and am trying to become more organized with meal planning and everything! lol..

16. I do this when we bring lunch to our homeschool group on Fridays. I usually add hard boiled eggs or hummus and crackers.

17. Before I heard the term snacky lunch we made “Kirsten’s Lunch”, after the famous historical doll. Pickles were included with the cheese, meat and crackers. Today I too would add hummus.

18. we have done versions of this for 20+ years……….it makes a great sunday evening snack especially if you have had a huge sunday dinner……..add popcorn also