Know what’s better than those Magic Bars with the coconut and chocolate? Making Double Chocolate Magic Bars with chocolate cookie crumbs!
I love Magic Bars. When I was pregnant with FishChick2, I ate half a pan all by myself — in one sitting. Needless to say, I wasn’t feeling too well that afternoon when I went in for my OB check-up. And Dr. Arroyo was none too happy, either.
But, he knew exactly what kind of cookie bar I was talking about. Oh yes, yes, he did.
This year I decided to make these bars with a little twist. We are omitting nuts and eggs from the bulk of our diet to accomodate FishChick’s food allergies. And since these are already egg-free, it’s easy to make them nut-free as well.
I made another tweak in using chocolate cookie crumbs instead of graham crackers and unsweetened instead of sweetened coconut. Perfection!
Quite frankly, this cranberry cinnamon version from Our Best Bites is what inspired me to try a different flavor combo. I was surprised that their order of ingredients is different than the one I’ve always used. Cool. I didn’t know you could make them different ways.
I imagine you could make all sorts of variations, mixing and matching different cookie crumbs, chips, nuts, and dried fruit.
And, can I just say they taste fantastic, cold from the freezer? Oh my!
Double Chocolate Magic Bars
Know what’s better than those Magic Bars with the coconut and chocolate? Making Double Chocolate Magic Bars with chocolate cookie crumbs and chocolate chips!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsweetened, flaked or shredded coconut
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and the butter. Press this mixture lightly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and then the coconut over the crust. Drizzle the sweetened, condensed milk over all.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into squares.
- To make ahead, store cut cookies in airtight container, separated by layers of waxed paper, and freeze.
Be sure to check out my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies.