Gingerbread dough finds a tasty form in these crinkle cookies, rolled in coarse sugar prior to baking.
Long time readers will remember the Gingerbread Cookies that got away. Since my mom’s Gingerbread recipe has rarely worked for me, I decided to redeem it a bit. I made a few changes and baked up a test batch while she was visiting last weekend.
They were an extreme hit. Christened Gingerbread Crinkles, these are a cookie I could get excited about. Especially when you sandwich vanilla ice cream between a pair of them. Oh my!
This recipe is easy, fun, and tasty — exactly what a Christmas cookie should be. I love rolling them in coarse Demerera sugar. It gives them a nice crunchy coating.
(Stay tuned next week when I’ll include them in my Holiday Baking for the Freezer Plan.)
Recipe: Gingerbread Crinkles
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Demerara, or coarse, sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350 °. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silpat baking mats.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in the molasses, egg, and lemon zest until well mixed.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda, and spices.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and roll in the demerara sugar.
- Place 9 cookies on a sheet, spacing evenly. Cookies will spread while baking.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes or until set. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Place baked and cooled cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 18 cookies
Remember: Each week at Ultimate Recipe Swap, there is a posted theme. You are welcome to share any recipe that fits the theme and contains a link back to Life as MOM. If you’re curious about the upcoming themes, I have a calendar here. This week’s theme is Cookies!
If you have a recipe that fits the theme, please link it. However, things like Beef Strogonaff will be deleted from Chicken week because it doesn’t contain chicken. Please keep this meme as helpful to others as we can.
And don’t make me the bad guy!
What’s a favorite cookie at YOUR house?