Years ago we had a neighbor who made these delicious bacon appetizers. They were strips of bacon wrapped around the tiniest bits of cream cheese and jalapenos. They were time intensive to make, but oh so delicious to eat. And since then, I love jalapeno poppers when made with good cheeses and wrapped in bacon. Yum!
However, my tummy doesn’t usually thank me a few hours later. A little too much spice and fat. But the flavors are awesome!
So, recently I decided to take those flavors to the spud and made Jalapeno Popper Potatoes. This was a delicious side dish for burgers, though, truth be told, I could probably eat the entire pan all by itself.
Recipe: Jalapeno Popper Potatoes
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 to 4 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 4 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed, diced, and cooked until fork tender
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon, onion and jalapenos until the bacon is crisp and the onions and peppers are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked and drained potatoes, sour cream, and 1 cup shredded cheese. Spoon this mixture into the prepared pan.
- Cover the potato mixture with the reserved cup of shredded cheese as well as the jalapeno bacon mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are hot.
- Serve hot.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
What kind of potato dish do you enjoy?