Looking for a quick, hot meal? How about a quick supper to give as a gift? I gotcha covered on both counts with this make ahead chili spice mix!
Quick meals, especially those that can be made ahead, are the name of the game in these here parts. Especially since I came down with the Plague on Saturday morning. I’ll spare you the details, but it was another case of “Mom gets the germ after everyone else is better.” So, quick meals it is.
I whipped up this chili in the slow cooker on Sunday morning to go with hotdogs or with chips and toppings later in the day. Everyone was very satisfied, and the next day I added cooked rice and beef broth for a quick riff on Beans and Rice Soup. Yes, yes, I did. Two meals for the price of one.
This chili, dubbed The Quickest Chili in the West, is super make-ahead. You can combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker and then go on your merry way. Or you can simply gather all the ingredients in one place and mix it in about 20 minutes before serving. Either way, you can do a lot of the “heavy lifting” in advance.
You’ll be so pleased to have this chili spice mix on hand. It costs just pennies in comparison to those little brown packets you buy at the store. And you can give this meal as a gift!
Bag up all the ingredients to gift a meal for another time.
FREE Printable Recipe Card
Print out this printable recipe card sheet, cut it into fourths, and then combine all the cans, spice mix, and a bag of chips into one bigger bag along with the recipe.
It’s a wonderful gift for the busy family, allowing them a home-cooked meal when they want one. This is an easy meatless, gluten-free, dairy-free meal that should fit all diets and food preferences. Just double check the food labels to make sure that there aren’t some tricky allergens lurking in your cans and bags.
Looking for more bright ideas to get dinner on the table? My latest cookbook is here! And it’s designed just for you to make dinner quickly, easily, and affordably.
You can beat the clock without breaking the bank. And you’ll eat well too.
Recipe: The Quickest Chili in the West
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey, browned and drained, optional
- one 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- one 28-ounce can pinto beans, drained
- two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
- one 15-ounce can hominy, drained
- 1-2 cups water (depending on how thick you like your chili)
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings: salsa, grated cheese, sour cream
- Combine all ingredients in a 4-quart slow cooker. Cook for at least 4 hours on high.
- Alternatively, combine the ingredients in a stockpot over medium heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with toppings and chips.
- To freeze: Wrap, label, and chill the chili completely before freezing. Reheat before serving.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
What’s YOUR favorite make ahead meal?