Three forms of chocolate: brownie, ice cream, and sauce, come together for a delicious Valentine’s treat: Triple Chocolate Sundaes.
Believe it or not, sundaes are one of the hot food trends of 2017. Yes, all things are made new again when you add funky flavors and modern technology to them. Or beef them up into, what Today has called them, maximalist sundaes.
This sundae is classic old school, and so delicious with its “maximalist” twist. You never can have too much chocolate, can you? 😉
You will be the hit of the party, the mom of the year, the hostess with the mostest when you whip up these Triple Chocolate Sundaes. And you’ll be surprised at how easy the components come together. Even if you make some of them from scratch.
Bake up a batch of your favorite brownies. Once they cool — at least a little bit — layer them with chocolate ice cream and drizzles of chocolate sauce. Top it all with whipped cream, nuts, chocolate chips or shavings, and, of course, a cherry on top!
A few ways you can “healthify” these sundaes?
- Bake Butternut Squash Brownies and/or use whole wheat pastry flour. You’ll be able to avoid preservatives and other additives.
- Mix up your own chocolate sauce. Like this plain chocolate syrup, this mint version, or this mocha-infused option. You can avoid the corn syrup and other additives.
- Whip your own cream. You can cut the sugar and use better quality cream.
- Use nuts instead of sugary sprinkles or chocolate.
- Top it all with a fresh cherry instead of a candied one.
How ’bout a Triple Chocolate Sundae for dessert this week? It’s perfect, of course, for Valentine’s Day — or any day ending in Y.
Triple Chocolate Sundaes
Three forms of chocolate: brownie, ice cream, and syrup, come together for a delicious Valentine’s treat: Triple Chocolate Sundaes.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- one chocolate brownie
- 2 scoops chocolate ice cream
- favorite chocolate syrup or hot fudge sauce
- whipped cream
- chopped nuts, chocolate chips, chocolate shavings, and/or sprinkles
- maraschino cherries
- Crumble half of the brownie square into a sundae dish.
- Add a scoop of chocolate ice cream.
- Crumble the remaining half of the brownie over the ice cream.
- Add the second scoop of ice cream.
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with nuts, chocolate chips, shavings, or sprinkles.
- Top with a cherry.
- Serve immediately.
Are you looking for more good cheap eats?
- grab one of my deluxe meal plans
- read through the recipe archives
- check out my cookbooks
- subscribe to my weekly newsletter
- check out my recipes on Life as Mom
- follow my Good Cheap Eats pinboard on Pinterest
- subscribe to the Good Cheap Eats YouTube channel
Recipe originally posted February 8, 2012.