Take Hobo Dinners to a whole new level! These Easy Fish & Shrimp Packets come together super easy for a quick and delicious supper.
In October when we met Monsieur Renaud, we had one of the most remarkable experiences of our trip. To meet a man who had lived through the German occupation of France as well as see the marvels of the Allied liberation of Normandy was pretty amazing. We all have fond memories of our day spent with him. Normandy is on our list of places to see again when we revisit France.
While in Sainte-Mere-Eglise on that cold, rainy day, we luncheoned with our French friend at La Pause Gourmande. There we had one of two French restaurant meals of our trip. The kids are still raving about it, particularly my eldest foodie. FishBoy17 has asked more than once that I make the dishes we had that day. These fish and shrimp packets are one of those dishes.
I’ve been sharing French recipes over on Good Cheap Eats since we came back. These recipes are quickly becoming my favorites thanks to their simplicity and ease of preparation. French food doesn’t have to be complicated.
This dish takes Hobo Dinners or Foil Packet Suppers to a whole new level. I didn’t think twice when the waiter brought us each a plate of rice and a foil wrapped package of seafood and vegetables. Simple yet delicious! See, not complicated?
(Okay, they did serve a Sauce Normande along the side which is more complicated than I want to get on most nights. I substituted butter, lemon, spice, and fresh dill to make up for my saucelessness.)
You can adjust the ingredients in these packets to suit what you have on hand or what your family likes. I tested the recipe with vegetables under the fish and vegetables over the fish and both worked fine. To avoid the fish overcooking, serve the packets immediately.
Lay out a sheet of foil for each person. I used heavy-duty foil to guard against easy leaks and tears. Add chunks of fish or shrimp, seasoning, sliced carrot and onions, lemon slices, tomatoes, and fresh dill sprigs. Wrap it up and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes in a 425 oven. I slid a pan of Baked Rice in first and then added the tray of fish.
Dinner in less than 30 minutes. Booyah!
Easy Fish and Shrimp Packets
Take hobo dinners to a new level. Wrap chunks of fish and whole shrimp in foil with vegetables, herbs, and butter for a simple and succulent supper.
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cook time:10 minutes
Total time:20 minutes
- 24 ounces fish pieces, cut into chunks
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 8 to 12 grape tomatoes
- lemon slices
- 4 sprigs dill
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Lay out four pieces of aluminum foil, about 1 foot wide.
- Divide the fish and the shrimp among the four sheets of foil.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, paprika, and garlic powder. Season the seafood with this mixture. Season with pepper to taste. Divide the butter slices, onions, carrots, tomatoes, lemon slices, and dill sprigs among the four packets.
- Fold the foil over the fish, bring the sides of the foil to meet in the middle. Fold the edges together several times in order to create a seal. Fold up the sides. Place the packets on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the fish pulls apart easily. Serve immediately.