With my second round of June’s freezer meals, I used about ten pounds of ground beef to make:
- Seasoned Taco Meat – This makes for an easy dinner, just add toppings and tortillas or taco shells. I store the meat in plastic containers.
- Chili – As a freezer meal, this is quick to reheat later and serve “as is” or use to top hot dogs. I cooked two batches in both my crockpots. We ate some for dinner and then I had enough to freezer for two more meals.
- Meatballs – Meatballs are so versatile; I serve them on pasta in a red sauce or with gravy over mashed potatoes. I bake them in the oven, cool, and freeze in ziptop bags.
- Meatloaf – I use the same mixture for meatloaf as for the meatballs, just in a different shape. I freeze meatloaf uncooked. On serving day, I thaw the loaf and bake fresh for dinner.
Recipe: Meatball / Meatloaf Mixture
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 3 cups bread crumbs
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Don’t mix too much, just enough to distribute ingredients throughout mixture.
- Form into meatballs or divide into four parts and form four meatloaves. These are not very salty meatballs, since you will serve them with sauce or gravy.
- For meatballs, bake in 350° oven for 15 minutes or until cooked through for meatballs. Cool, label, and freeze.
- For meatloaves, wrap, label and freeze. When ready to serve, thaw and bake 45-60 minutes or until cooked through.