I hated pumpkin pie until I had this one. Now, I will eat no other. This is the best pumpkin pie EVER.
This recipe is by far the holiday family favorite at our house. Gramma Marilyn made it for our Thanksgiving Dinner back in 1998, and it is a regular on our table every year without fail. Without. fail.
Previously, I had never been a fan of pumpkin pie. Too slimy. But, this pie has a graham cracker crust and a crunchy, sweet, nutty top, which offset the smooth custard and make for a great combination.
The ingredients usually go on sale every fall and aside from the egg and butter, they are all pantry stable, so you can stock up and always have what you need for a fantastic pie. We like to serve it with freshly whipped cream. Oh my! This is a Pumpkin Pie you can make all year long as far as I’m concerned.
Streusel Topped Pumpkin Pie Recipe
This pie has a graham cracker crust and a crunchy, sweet, nutty top, which offset the smooth custard and make for a great combination.
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cook time:60 minutes
Total time:1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- 15-ounce can solid pack pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 14-ounce can sweetened, condensed milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided usage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon cold butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts of choice
- whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Place the pie crust (in its pan) on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, egg, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Pour into the graham cracker pie crust. Bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the brown sugar, flour, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Stir in the nuts.
- Remove the pie from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the pie.
- Bake 40 minutes or until set. Cool and then chill in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Serve the pie with whipped cream. This is delicious warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Store leftovers (if any) in the refrigerator.