Cozy Winter Breakfasts for Freezer Cooking (FREE Downloadable Cooking Plan)

Looking for freezer cooking plans? After you download this plan, check out these other free printable plans.

Cozy Winter Breakfasts for Freezer Cooking (FREE Downloadable Cooking Plan)

Yesterday I spent about four hours bustling about the kitchen. My mission? To get our breakfasts for the month prepped and in the freezer.

Breakfasts for freezer cooking?

Yes, indeedy. Breakfast foods like baked oatmeal, energy bars, granola, and quick breads freeze wonderfully. Pancake, waffle, and muffin mixes are easy to make ahead. And though we’re doing a Pantry Challenge, I was able to pull it off with a lot of pantry staples that I already had.

Cozy Winter Breakfasts for Freezer Cooking (FREE Downloadable Cooking Plan)

Here’s what I prepped. The page numbers denote what page of my cookbook you can find the recipes.

I think we’re set, don’t you?

Cozy Winter Breakfasts Cooking Plan

I prepped the cooking plan for your benefit as well as mine. You can download the whole shebang, including grocery list and cooking directions and get to work pretty quickly.

Cozy Winter Breakfasts for Freezer Cooking (FREE Downloadable Cooking Plan)

I did make a few substitutions based on what I had. For instance, I didn’t go out and buy oranges for zesting, but used lemon zest from the freezer instead. I was fast and loose with the cooking oils, using sunflower instead of olive or coconut where applicable. You can make the same kinds of substitutions without a problem.

With school starting back on Monday, I wanted to make things as easy as possible. I think this will do the trick.

Have YOU done any freezer cooking lately?

Do tell.

Comments

1. I’m curious about the lemon zest in the freezer….I recently read a money saving tip about freezing halves of lemons after using the juice. Is that what you do or do you have a bag of zest. I want to do this now that lemons are a great price. Thanks!

2. What a great idea to put together this freezer cooking plan for breakfast foods – thank you for sharing it with us! I recently purchased your cookbook; perfect timing!

3. I received your cookbook for Christmas and did my first batch of cooking for the freezer. So far we have had the pot pie, chicken sub and tomorrow we will enjoy the Garlic Noodle Bake. It’s been a pleasure not having to think too much about dinner each day.

4. We love doing freezer cooking but usually need to tweak the cooking plan a bit, so we made a spreadsheet to help us do that which is available at our website. We haven’t done a breakfast freezer cooking day yet, but we’d like to make a party of it and invite some friends. The Raspberry Baked Oatmeal recipe looks like a great one to try.

5. these pictures are making me hungry! I have a soft spot for sweet breads and muffins. I have not been freezer cooking that much in months, but I need to. My plan for Sunday is to go through the freezer and cupboards and make a list of all the meals we can make this month just from what we have on hand and then just buy what we need to complete those meals and then stay out of the grocery store except for fruit and milk. If I like this I might shop that way every month as one of my goals for this year is to stream line what I can in life so I can have more time for blogging and intentional family time.

I am wondering if it’s safe to say that you’ve escaped spam? Or is that on GCE?

• The issue is getting better, but not completely cleared up yet. I am finding the best way to combat it is to follow the bloggers I like on Facebook I created a “blogging” interest page so that they don’t get buried, I then comment on their blog but if it fails to show up I go to their Facebook page and find the link to that post, and then leave them the same sort of comment on their Facebook page and tell them hey I think this comment went to your spam. Then I will make a point to go to that blog later in the week and comment again and 9 times out of 10 the blogger has taken me out of spam and then I appear from then on (well at least so far). Since this has happened twice to me I am realizing the magic number seems to be around 6 to 10 single dig outs by various bloggers and then I am out of filters all over the blogosphere.

6. So far, I’ve been cooking something each day, rather than taking a whole day…which is hard to do with a sick, clingy, whiny 15 month old ;-) I’ve made 15 breakfast burritos for DS 14, 2 dozen giant breakfast cookies and 2 dozen waffles. Today is your energy bars and some cranberry bread. Beginning of a new semester…you don’t scare me anymore!

• Okay, 4 of my 6 kids love the Energy Bars…so the recipe is a keeper! My 9 year old son asked, “Where does that mom who wrote the cookbook live?” When I told him California, he said, “Oh, I wish they lived here in Texas. And we could be friends and I could be invited to their house for dinner. I mean, your food is great, Mom, but HER food is awesome! I bet her 9 year old named Lawnmower Taco…seems like a name a 9 year old boy would come up with.” So there you have it, as I did my baking, he sang the praises of you and your cookbook! LOL

That is hilarious! Thank you for sharing. I think one of us parents named it as a way to get the kids to eat it. LOL It looked weird to them, I think.

7. Christina says:

I absolutely LOVE your cookbook. My family has enjoyed every recipe I have tried. It is so nice to have a cookbook (and your websites) to go to for recipes I can trust to be good. I purchased a different freezer cookbook a few years ago and my family barely tolerated eating through what I had made. Some dishes were tasted and trashed. It was such a waste of time and money. I think the difference is that you actually use your recipes while some people just make a cookbook to make a cookbook – not caring about actually trying the recipes to see if they would be edible.

8. Thanks!

9. Rebecc Zaidi says:

I got your book over Christmas and have been waiting for time to try out some of the recipes.
    2 of my kids went back to school this morning, so I thought I’d try out the wholesome energy bars. I only did one batch as I expected it would only be me eating them. I was so wrong! I thought they were great and was excited to fill the freezer with 11. The girls came back and ‘tried’ them. I have been told they want them for school snack tomorrow, so only 3 made it to the freezer :)

10. I love your book!! I’ve been telling everyone I know about it.
    My new year’s resolution is to try to do freezer meals. I sat down and planned our menu for the month of January. We get paid every 2 weeks so I had to wait till this past weekend to go to the grocery.( Oh my, 2 weeks worth of groceries really loads up a cart.) :) After we got home, I put the groceries away and spent the rest of the weekend cooking. The only breakfast foods I have stocked up on are pancakes and egg and bacon sandwiches on English muffins. The rest of the freezer is stocked with the recipes from the cookbook……Cozy Cheese Potato Casserole, Cranberry Pork Chops, Garlicky Chicken Noodle Bake, Shepard’s Pie w/ Green Chile Mashed Potatoes, the pizza kits, Irish stew, Lasagna, Spinach Feta Manicotti, Ginger- Soy Pork Tenderloin, Creamy Chicken Enchiladas, Salas Verde Beef , Ratatouille, Zesty Italian Melts and Chicken Divan.
    My daughter doesn’t like Shepard’s Pie but, she asked to have the leftovers packed for her school lunch today!! I may need to start checking the sales add before i plan my menu though. :)

Yeah! So glad it was successful. Lots of Shepherd’s Pie haters have been reformed by that recipe. :)

11. stumbled upon your site looking for easy yet yummy freezer cooking ideas. and after seeing the breakfasts on this page i went to iTunes and downloaded the book right away. I can wait to try these out soon. a question though, do you think it is relatively simple to adapt these for 1 or 2 servings. Kids are grown and out of the house. and hubby travels a lot for work so most of the time it is just me. thanks for you insight and than you so much for having this site and your book!!!

Toni
    p.s. is the pantry challenge currently ongoing

Hi Toni. Thanks for your support of the book. Yes, I think that you can easily adjust the sizes, you’ll just need smaller containers for things like the raspberry baked oatmeal. You can even bake the mixture in greased muffin tins and freeze the cakes after baking. Adjust the size by creating smaller packages of the other items.

Yes, the pantry challenge is going on over at my food blog, Good Cheap Eats.

12. I want to make the energy bars you have in your cookbook, but I don’t have a bread machine! Do you have any tips for using a stand mixer for that recipe? Thank you!! So glad to have these cooking plans ready to use….I haven’t done one yet with three little guys, but will attempt one soon!!! :)

Do you know how to make bread? You can follow typical bread making method (proof the liquids and yeast, stir in the dry, knead until a smooth ball).

13. This morning we were in the mood for waffles. I remembered that we had some flax and lemons and a recipe to put them in so I mixed up some Lemon Honey Flax Waffles — thinking in my head as I was doing so, “wow, 6 c. of flour is a lot!” Either I wrote the recipe down wrong from your cookbook or your serving sizes are VERY generous… I ended up making 30 waffle squares! (I’m not worried though, they freeze well and taste delicious)!!
    Yum.